Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Live Mammoths?

This story has it that people are planning a park in Siberia that would have a LIVE cloned mammoth!

It sends me back to my early childhood days: fantacizing about the mammoths, the saber-tooth tiger, and other amazing prehistorical animals... I used to imagine being Rahan, the son of the Fierce Ages (certains comprendront), stumbling upon one such creature... Magical...

And well, whether or not it is doable, or ethically doable even, here comes Science again: a team from the Max Planck Institute has finally mapped the mammoth genome. (Here's their webpage)
I'll tell you: I was reading this and getting super excited! I already imagined the in vitro fertilization of an Asian elephant with a DNA-corrected egg... I imagined the world premiere of the mammoth being born...
Wouldn't that be amazing?!?

Well here comes the blow: the techniques followed to clone living organisms are now patentable subject matter. The patent exists for mammoth cloning. So it's official, whether we fool ourselves with the ethical discussion on the human cloning mascarade, profit has won again...